Social Entrepreneur Amanda Munday Advocates for Parents in the Workplace Through the Purpose-Driven Space
Amanda Munday is the founder and CEO of The Workaround, a parent-friendly co-work space with high-quality child care in Toronto, Ontario. After attempting to balance hiring a marketing/sales team for the tech startup where she worked while raising two young children, she realized parents in the workplace needed more support. Hence, in October 2018, The Workaround was born.
Along with founding The Workaround, Munday is the author of Day Nine, a postpartum depression memoir published in April 2019. She has received international media coverage, including being named an inspirational speaker in Forbes magazine, and she is a regular contributor to The Globe and Mail, where she covers topics such as parenting, purpose-driven business, and the necessary evolution of the normal 9-to-5 workday. She is also the co-author of the Parenting Playbook, a free resource for tech founders to support parents in the workplace. Munday currently serves as president of the Board of Directors for Creative Preschool of East Toronto, and in 2019 she joined the Board of Directors for the Danforth Mosaic Business Improvement Area.
In this episode of the Grow Ensemble Podcast, Munday goes in-depth on what it was like to be both a parent and a full-time employee, which is what inspired her to found The Workaround; her challenges in launching The Workaround and how those led her to rethink certain aspects of her business; the cultural stigma of parents in the professional world and how society needs to rethink the professional structure to accommodate accordingly; and her vision for 2020 for herself and The Workaround.
Want more episodes on impact-driven companies looking to uplevel the day-to-day work routine? Listen to:
- #45 — Mission-Driven Success: How to Achieve Work/Life Balance and Better the World through Business with Madeleine Shaw, Co-Founder of Lunapads and Nestworks
- #50 — How to Create a Thriving Company Culture: From Purpose & Values to Shorter Workweeks with Becci Gould of Kin & Co
- #06 — Putting Your Employees First to Serve the Community Above and Beyond, With Allison Gibson
Looking for a job where you can put your talents to work making the world a better place? Search for a meaningful job on B Work, the largest impact-only job search platform.
Tune in to our episode with Munday for these key takeaways:
- Her inspiration for and experience in launching The Workaround.
- What the first year at The Workaround was like.
- The cultural stigma of parents in the professional world and how society should change in this regard.
- Her parenthood challenges while maintaining a great career.
B the Change gathers and shares the voices from within the movement of people using business as a force for good and the community of Certified B Corporations. The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the nonprofit B Lab.
Evolving the 9-to-5 Workday with a Parent-Friendly Approach was originally published in B The Change on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.